Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"Remember to Remember"



Monday, May 31st, I took part in the 2nd Annual Ernest P. Roy Memorial Day Relay. Ernest P. Roy lost his life fighting in World War II. He never returned home to meet his son, a dear friend of my family. Last year Sonny Roy and his wife, Sandra, visited my parents’ home on Memorial Day. We watched the news coverage of the relay. Without hesitation, I said “Oh, I wish I had known about the relay…I would have loved to have participated.” Everyone looked at me, and I quickly remembered I was sitting on the floor, 2 weeks after major foot surgery, sporting a soft cast… crutches within reach. I laughed and made a commitment to run in this year’s relay.

Two days ago, my friend, Adriane, and I did just that! We ran one mile along the causeway, beginning at Felix’s Fish Camp. Adriane carried an American flag, while I carried a Military Services flag as we ran our leg of the relay. We were surrounded by motorcyclists, an SUV, and the beautiful waters of Mobile Bay. What an honor to have been included in this meaningful event! Participants ran in pairs, in one mile intervals… in 3 different directions. One set of flags relayed from Mobile to Foley… one from Foley to Pensacola Naval Air Station, and one from Mobile to Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, MS.
The Memorial Day Relay was created with the theme “Remember to Remember”. In the midst of barbecues and picnics, one day sales and sand volleyball games, we are called to remember. We are called to recognize, acknowledge, appreciate, and show respect for the men and women who are fighting or have fought for our country. We are called to pause, pray, and express our gratitude. We are called to be Americans.

“Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?”
[Francis Scott Key 1814]

8 comments:

  1. first, thanks for this post and the part you played in helping people remember the real reason we didn't have to work on monday

    second, i <3 your shoes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy, for your sweet comments :)
    The relay was an honor... in spite of the rain and having bronchitis (I've been at home, sick, since Monday!). And... as far as the shoes... they are not the cutest shoes ever, but they are the BEST running shoes I have EVER owned! Highly recommend them... Nike Lunarglide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my mom, Susan ~
    "That was very nice! I was thinking this morning that we are the home of the free because of the brave! Love that song!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. i thought that was my little sis in that picture!

    what an awesome tribute!
    looking forward to meeting you when we are in Daphne next!

    heather
    (adriane's middle sister)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather ~ thanks so much for your comment! Adriane is such a blessing... and I was thrilled when she agreed to join me for the Relay! I look forward to meeting you on your next trip to the Eastern Shore!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda- this is such a great post! Bravo for running this year!!! You look fabulous :-) And I love your words here- they are so very true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love It! Love the shoes aswell.x You look radiant in the pics. HP

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you did this!! What a great way to remember all those special military people.

    ReplyDelete