Saturday, June 12, 2010

Garden ~ "A symbol of Nature under control"



Today, I had the honor of attending and participating in an Arts and Inspiration Creativity Workshop, led by artist, Provie Musso. Provie and I have known each other for probably 5 years. Both her work and her spirit are beautiful, inspirational, bright, and fun!

We completed several "art projects" throughout the 7 hour workshop. My favorite creation was "Our Garden." Provie read the definition of "Garden" from a book entitled, "The Secret Language of Symbols." It stated, "The Garden - A symbol of Nature under control and of the human soul ~ which, like the Garden ~ must be cared for and cultivated." I fell in love with this explanation... this perspective... this concept! I have never had a green thumb, but this was a take on "gardening" to which I could relate.

We have all been heartbroken and devastated by the oil spilling into our Gulf waters. The beaches, the bays, the wildlife, the businesses, the people of the Coast have been in a state of confusion, anger, and helplessness as the days and weeks have passed... with little or no signs of hope or reprieve. The news reports are overwhelming and the videos / photographs have left us speechless. When I am at a loss for words... when the English language fails me... I have learned to create.
Georgia O' Keeffe once said, "I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for."

So, this afternoon, I planted my Garden... with photographs, sea shells, a little paint, and a lot of glue. It was MY reminder that, in the midst of the continued tragedy of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, Nature IS under control! There is little you or I can physically do to bring an end to this disastrous event, yet, we are called to believe in the truth that "God doesn't come and go. God lasts. He's Creator of all you can see or imagine." [Isaiah 40:28] Nature is under His control.

I left Provie's workshop with a new found feeling of peace. "The human soul...like the Garden... must be cared for and cultivated." So, I guess I did a lot of gardening today... cultivating and nurturing my soul through artistic expression, fellowship with friends, and a willingness to let go (if only for a moment) of my own seeds of doubt. Today I chose to plant seeds of hope... and "Once you choose hope, anything's possible." [Christopher Reeve]

~ aeb :)

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, I love your writing- Thank you for sharing these thoughts- beautiful and hopeful and a reminder not only to pray for the people affected by the oil spill but to pray for one and other and for the 'spills' that bleed into our lives. Love you girl. (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete